Day Ten: Everything They Forgot

I know I said we would talk about servant-leadership this week, and we will, but this is any old poem I just rediscovered today, and I thought I would share it and the admonition to keep serving because one day it will be worth it all.
Everything They Forgot

They told me Christ should be everything and me nothing;
They forgot to tell me it hurts to be invisible,
They encouraged me to give up anything--- everything,
But did not mention that it meant all and then some,
They told me God loves a heart that’s kind and humble,
But missed the embarrassment and annoyances there too,
They forgot to tell me all these things I know they knew.

The preached the beauty of fasting alone with God,
But didn’t warn me I would get distracted and hungry.
They said I should live for heaven’s praise and laud,
But forgot my earthly ears can’t hear heaven’s sounds yet.
They taught me to fight the good fight valiantly,
But never ever said I would get tired there too.
They forgot to tell me all these things I know they knew.

Why? Why did they never tell me all these details?
Was it cleaver advertising--- a salesman’s story?
Did they only take them out to make it a better tale?
Or was it because when they looked back on their lives,
Glanced over their shoulders from heaven’s unending glory,
None of those things they know they once knew mattered at all,
From their view, everything it was worth was all they saw.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christian Response to Church and State

A Christian Response to Welfare

A Christian Response to the Enviornment, Part Two